This week we picked a new Bad Ass and his Name is Frankie.
- Truck name: Slingshot
- Owner/Driver/Builder/Where from: Frankie Johnson/(Herbert Bunn/Builder) I’m from Selma N.C.
- Years Owned: 1 year
- Truck Model: 82 Chevy Luv
- Engine: 60 degree Buick V-6 with a supercharger and nitrous
- Tires/Lift: 8.3×24 V-treads/ 34×10.00×15 Terminators/ 34×9.50 Super Swamper TSL/ 35×10.50 Boggers…Different tracks get different tires. Suspension is custom 4-link with Fox nitrogen shocks in front and custom leaf spring and bars in rear.
- Awards/Competitions Won: I’ve won several races in several states including N.C., N.J., S.C.
- Favorite Mud Parks/Events: Lee County Mud Motorsports Complex In Sanford NC; Thunder Valley in SC; I love doing charity events/races.
- Sponsors: Herberts Repair Service in Goldsboro N.C (919) 778-0120; Atkinson Towing and Recovery in Wendell N.C. (919) 369-5220
Fun fact about your truck and/or yourself: I am a six cylinder guru. Why use a V-8 when I can do just as good with a six cylinder. I’m also a past MRA Hill and Hole Class 5 National Champion.
What got you in the mud biz? How long have you been at it? I’ve had a 4×4 most of my life….that first N.C. style hill and hole race had me hooked back in 2007. Pretty much been racing a truck since then. Maybe a break here and there, but not for long.
Married? Kids? Are they included? Not married and no kids; unless you count the trucks and “sneaky” the shop cat.
If you could get behind the wheel of any other truck, which would it be? A favorite truck besides your own? That would have to be Keith Spikers “Hammerhead” truck.
What keeps you in the game? The love of hot rods and mud; besides the fact that I have two trucks to do something with…Hahaha
Do you have any rituals or habits prior to race day? I always say I’m going to have the truck ready several days before the race. it usually never happens and I’m awake most of the night getting it ready.
What’s one fun non-mud related fact we might not know about you? In my early 30’s I qualified for regional Olympic BMX competition, on a 20 inch BMX bike.
If you could vacation anywhere in the world, where would you go? Probably a huge hot rod event somewhere in Australia.
What do think the most important part of a truck is? Very first is safety…next I’d have to say suspension.
What is your daily driver? Currently a 96 GMC Sonoma…soon to be a 67 four door Dodge Coronet
What is on the horizon for you/your truck? Always doing little mods to stay on my game. Hopefully I’ll be modifying it enough to race MTS soon.
How did your truck get it’s name? It just flies; like it got shot out of a slingshot.
Photo Credit: Benny Foto